Advice is part of the excellent service that you can expect from the diesel engine parts specialists at Elegen. So for this particular blog post, we thought it would be useful to discuss alternators and batteries, and when to replace these crucial diesel engine parts.
Alternators and batteries are among the most important genuine (OEM) parts for diesel engines, taking much of the strain within diesel generators and requiring replacing from time to time.
The alternator within your diesel generator is responsible for converting the mechanical energy of the engine into electrical energy that is used to provide power.
Your generator battery provides the electricity needed to put electrical components to work, converting chemical energy into the electrical energy while stabilising the voltage that keeps your engine running.
Knowing when to replace these parts is the difference between peak and poor performance, while doing so at the right time will save money and keep your generator running optimally.
Here are five things to keep in mind when considering whether a diesel engine alternator needs to be replaced:
1) If your generator’s output has declined, the alternator may be the reason and should be carefully checked for faults or maintenance issues.
2) Overheating, condensation and short circuits are factors that can affect your alternator’s ability to create electrical energy optimally.
3) As is the case with any part within a diesel generator, regular maintenance will help to extend the life of your diesel generator’s alternator, with elements such as the alternator housing, windings, bearings, controls, rectifier and cooling system included in the maintenance.
4) Follow your specific alternator’s manufacturer’s guidelines on servicing and maintenance to extend the life of your alternator. Inspect the alternator’s cleanliness, terminal connections, diodes and cooling fan, while looking for loose parts and excess vibration.
5) After around 30,000 hours or approximately five years of use (whichever comes first), you may need to replace components of your alternator. You should carefully inspect sealed bearings, anti-condensation heater, diodes and varistors, and air filters for wear and consider replacing them.
Here are five things to keep in mind when considering whether a diesel engine battery needs to be replaced:
1) As with the alternator, proper maintenance is key to lengthening the life of the diesel generator battery. When your battery's service life expires or you do not pay proper attention to regular maintenance of the battery, it will need to be replaced.
2) According to respected industry bodies associated with generator set standards, about half of emergency generator set failures are due to battery problems. Maintaining your battery properly can prevent the majority of battery failures.
3) With proper maintenance, a good quality battery can last 3-5 years, depending on use, but many users choose to change out the batteries every two or so years as a precaution.
4) Consider and check the following elements to determine whether your battery needs to be replaced: Cell voltage, cell balance, battery connections, water use, reduced capacity and dirt affecting conductivity.
5) If you are not sure what type or size of battery you need, or you are unsure whether your current battery needs replacing, contact Elegen for advice. We carry all of the major diesel generator brands and can help you choose the best battery for your generator or determine whether you need a replacement in the first place.
When it does come time for you to replace your alternators, batteries or any other diesel engine parts, keep in mind that we proudly stock a wide range of high-performance diesel parts capable of delivering optimal output in high-friction, temperature, and stress environments, including for generators of various capacities.
Elegen are suppliers of all battery types for all applications, while we also offer a range of alternators from 10kva to 2200kva as well as charging alternators.
Produced by internationally-recognised manufacturers, the aftermarket parts that we supply into the South African and African markets ensure that we are fully-approved dealers of genuine (OEM) parts for all diesel engines.
Entrust your diesel engine genuine (OEM) parts requirements to the specialists at Elegen, and have the peace of mind that comes from dealing with the best in the business.